- 1 ½ lbs steak (flank, rump or skirt), chicken or large shrimp (uncooked, peeled, deveined)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon oil , divided (canola or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 bell peppers red , yellow, orange or green, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large red or yellow onion , sliced into strips
- Warm flour tortillas
- Salsa or pico
- Sour cream
- Cilantro , for garnish
- In a gallon size resealable bag add 1 tablespoon of oil, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic, oregano, lime juice and salt and pepper. Add meat, seal bag and toss to coat. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Add vegetables to a gallon resealable bag. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon oil and shake gently to coat. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Remove meat from the fridge about 20 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat and lightly grease grates with oil. If cooking on the stove, heat a heavy pan with a little oil, over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken or steak and cook for a few minutes on each side, flipping only once, until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees), or steak is medium rare, about 3-5 minutes. Remove meat to a plate, cover with tinfoil and allow to rest. For shrimp, cook on a grill pan or in a cast iron pan for 2-4 minutes on each side, just until pink, flipping once.
- Add vegetables to a cast iron pan or grill pan and set on the grill or on the stovetop to cook over medium high heat. Cook, tossing occasionally, until charred and just tender, but not overcooked.
- Serve with warm tortillas, salsa or pico, guacamole, sour cream, hot sauce and garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy with a side of Mexican Rice and refried beans.
Make ahead Instructions: Chop the vegetables and meat and store separately in the refrigerator up to 1 day before cooking. Fajita seasoning can be made and stored in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to six months. Freezing Instructions: Chop the vegetables and meat and freeze separately in a freezer safe bag for 2-3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and continue with step 3 of the recipe. Fajita seasoning can be made and stored in an airtight container in the cupboard for up to six months.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 547mg | Potassium: 538mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2473IU | Vitamin C: 92mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 3mg