- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1 basic pie crust, unbaked
- 1 large egg
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie crust dough to a 12-13-inch circle.
- Fit the dough into a 9-inch pie pan, pressing to fit and crimping the edges to form a rim.
- Freeze the dough for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, egg whites, corn syrup, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, and salt; mix well. Stir in the pecan halves and pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, then tent loosely with aluminium foil.
- Bake for about 15-20 more minutes (until the tip of a knife inserted 1-inch from the edge comes out clean).
- Let cool on a wire rack.